Would you like to add a bit of sparkle to your event? DIY bottle vases are so easy, glamorous and effective! They are perfect for a Gatsby theme birthday, a Christmas party, a hint of golden sparkle for your wedding, or just to brighten up your home. Bright flowers make a wonderful contrast or you can just have them on their own as part of a table centrepiece or as table numbers. So where do we start?
Things you need:
- Empty beer bottles – from brown, clear to green bottles!
- Gold spray paint – I use Birch Classic Gloss Enamel in Gold at Spotlight.
- Gold coarse loose glitter – found at Spotlight or Lincraft. (You can buy fine glitter too depending on what look you are going for.)
- Tape i.e fabric tape or any tape that can be easily stripped off with ease.
- Newspaper to place on the ground.
- Soak the beer bottles in warm water so the stickers and labels will strip off easily. Let it dry.
- DO this outdoors! The paint fumes and the spraying will not be a good idea to do inside. Get some newspaper to cover the ground so the gold spray wont leave marks (I learnt this the hard way!).
- Follow the gold spray can instructions, and spray the beer bottles in sections. Cover the whole bottle, or spray only half, depending what look you are going for.
- Tip: If you are planning to spray only a section of a bottle, use tape or hold a strip of paper around the bottle to cover the area you don’t want to spray, and this also will give you a neat spray line too!
- The paint is still wet so after spraying that first section, quickly sprinkle the glitter onto that paint. Then do the next section.
- The paint takes at least 4 hours to dry.
- You don’t need to sprinkle glitter if you don’t want, the gold itself is pretty!
Remember you can play around with any colours – even try the ombre effect! As well don’t stop at beer bottles, you can work on wine bottles, mason jars, jam jars, pots, containers…be open minded and creative.
Before you start spraying, here are a few inspiration ideas!
Contributed by Ngoc of The Dessert Parlour