The spooky season is upon us! A time for celebrating gore, horror and general scariness. However, for those of you who don’t like to be scared, it can be a stressful time and leave you with serious FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). But, never fear (HA!), you can join in the Halloween fun without being terrified! With our cute-as ghost meringues. These sweets will never scare you because they’re too busy being scared themselves!
Cute Ghost Meringues
Makes about 45 meringues.
3 egg whites
¾ caster sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
Black food colouring
- Preheat oven to 100C Line 2 baking trays with baking paper, or a silicone baking mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine egg whites and sugar.
- Whip on medium-high speed for 10-15 minutes, or until all sugar granules have dissolved.
- Add vinegar and whip for a further 20 seconds.
- Fill a piping bag, with a large round nozzle, with the meringue mixture.
- Pipe your meringue ghosts. As you pipe, pull upwards whilst maintaining even pressure. This creates chubby little bodies.
- Bake for 1 hour. Let cool in the oven for at least 3 hours or overnight, with the door ajar.
- The next day, remove your meringues from the (cold) oven.
- Dip the flat end of a bamboo skewer in black food colouring. Add two eyes (dots) to each ghost. Remember, long, oval eyes make your ghost look cuter!